Impact of Our Work
Since 1975, People's Resource Center has been bringing neighbors together to respond to hunger and poverty in DuPage County. With a team of 2,400 volunteers, we offer nutritious food and other basic necessities like clothes and rent assistance for people facing tough times. And we connect people with resources—education and tutoring, jobs, technology, art, a caring community—to create a future of hope and opportunity for all. Here are some highlights of our accomplishments in the past year:
• Food Pantry: PRC provided 6,538 families with 37,512 grocery carts filled with a week's worth of nutritious food, including fresh produce, frozen meats and bread.
• Clothes Closet: 1,529 unique households selected gently used, seasonally appropriate clothing for their families.
• Homelessness Prevention: 68 families received financial assistance to help pay the rent and regain housing stability.
• Social Services: 1,684 families were connected to additional social services including SNAP (food stamps), emergency financial assistance, utility assistance, and health care.
• Adult Learning and Literacy Program: 583 adults enrolled in ESL classes, studied for GED and citizenship exams, or worked with tutors to achieve their learning goals. 15 passed U.S. Citizenship exams and 4 earned a GED. 362 children boosted their academic skills through our hands-on Summer Science Program.
• Computer Access and Training: 1,453 unique adults attended computer training classes. PRC provided 710 refurbished computers and 1,344 repairs for clients.
• Job Assistance: 120 people found jobs with guidance from PRC job mentors. 349 individuals received job assistance services.
• Art: 680 adults and children developed their self-esteem and creativity through PRC art programs.