People’s Resource Center distributed over 38,000 shopping carts of food to your neighbors in need in 2017. Thank you!
Donations of food and other goods are essential to our work at PRC. Here is information about what we need, where you can drop off donations, and toolkits you can use for organizing collection drives.
Learn how you can join our team of over 2,600 volunteers.
We can use all types of foods, but we especially need:
- Fresh Produce – especially items that keep well, like apples, carrots, onions, winter squash, sweet potatoes, cabbage, oranges
- Canned goods – fruits, veggies and soups, especially low-salt or no sugar added
- High Protein – peanut butter, tuna, beans, and canned chicken, chili, or stew
- Whole Grains – whole wheat pasta, brown rice, cereal
- Household Items – disposable diapers, bar soap, toothpaste, shampoo, toilet paper, laundry detergent
- Diapers – especially sizes 4, 5 & 6
For more info, check out our Food Drive Toolkit.
Retailers and restaurants: PRC can accept donations of fresh and frozen foods and distribute them quickly to families in need. We may be able to offer donation pick-up from your location. Call us at 630.682.5402 to learn more about our food rescue program and how food donations must be packaged and stored.
We need clean, seasonal clothing in excellent condition. Clothing for all ages and sizes is appreciated. Click here for clothing donation guidelines.
For clients who are about to or already have a baby, PRC provides them with a layette filled with brand new items. They even come in pink or blue bags!
Layettes are filled with donations from the community and put together by volunteers. The bags include:
We accept donations at either the Wheaton or Westmont location and are always in need of items. When you make a donation, mark the items with the word “Layette” so they go to the right place!
We also have a super simple way for you to donate much needed new baby items to fill our layettes for expectant and new mothers!
- Visit smile.amazon.com
- Click on ‘Lists’ and choose ‘Find A List or Registry’
- Search ‘Peoples Resource Center’ (no apostrophe)
- Select ‘New Wish List’.
- Place an order and have it sent directly to PRC at 201 S. Naperville Rd. Wheaton, IL 60187.
Thank you for considering supporting new parents in this way!
We have a CRITICAL NEED for USB mice and keyboards!!
Also, Working Windows-compatible standard desktop/tower/laptop computers; minimum: Multi-core processor such as Intel Dual Core or higher with typical equipment: CD/DVD ROM, memory, hard drive
We also accept these types of computer equipment for use in our training and refurbishing programs:
Flat panel computer monitors 19″ or larger
Certain working HP Laser printers – we CANNOT accept inkjet printers
Gigabit Networking equipment
Questions about computer donations? Contact us at 630.682.5402 or e-mail us.
Books and Classroom Supplies
We welcome donations for our classrooms, including:
• Books (especially new or gently used children’s books). We have toolkits to get you started!
• Classroom materials (notebooks, pens, pencils, dry erase boards and markers)
Please contact the art program director at 630.682.5402 x241 to find out what types of supplies are especially needed for current and upcoming art classes.
Drop Off Locations and Hours:
201 S. Naperville Road
Wheaton, IL 60187
Monday – Friday 8 AM – 4 PM
Saturday 9 AM to 11:30 AM
Westmont, IL 60559
(We can accept food donations, seasonal clothing, cleaning supplies, books, toiletries. Please call to verify if we are accepting any computer equipment.)
Monday-Friday 8 AM – 4 PM
Saturday 8 AM – 11 AM
Drives and Collections
Ready to organize a food drive? PRC has prepared toolkits to help make your event a success.